I help small and mid-sized businesses succeed through sound corporate planning and strategic advocacy. Over the past 18 years, I have negotiated and closed asset purchase transactions, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, employment and other professional service contracts. There are times, however, when even the most carefully worded contracts cannot prevent litigation. I have represented business owners and professionals in court or in arbitration in a variety of industries, including architecture and engineering, health care, insurance, securities and financial planning. Whether it is in the boardroom or the courtroom, I have the experience and knowledge to help your business succeed.
- 2013, 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Lawyers in Columbus, 2014, 2016-2021
- Columbus CEO Magazine, Top 50 Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
- 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers, Commercial Litigation
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in favor of a central Ohio insurance agency and against an insurance agent who was violating non-competition and confidentiality agreements.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of an industrial gas company in Columbus, Ohio against a terminated employee who claimed that he was subject to worker’s compensation discrimination and retaliatory discharge.
- Defended a physician on claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract stemming from the opening of a medical clinic in Ironton, Ohio.
- Successfully defended an architecture firm against FHA claims for inaccessible design and construction of a multi-family housing development in Warren County, Ohio.
- Arbitrated fraud claims through FINRA against a securities firm for multiple thefts committed by one of its registered representatives.
- Obtained a verdict at trial on behalf of a licensee for breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation claims against a furniture distributor and wholesaler.
- Successfully defended a civil engineering firm against ADA/FHA claims for inaccessible design and construction of common areas at a condominium development in Fairfield County, Ohio.
- Obtained a verdict at trial on behalf of a medical services and billing company that was being accused of fraud and conversion.
- Act as collection counsel for several architecture and design firms.
- Negotiated a franchise agreement on behalf of a franchisee who purchased a graphics and printing company in Dublin, Ohio.
- Assisted a client in negotiating a settlement in a dispute among the shareholders of a closely held software development corporation relating to the buy-out of shares of two minority owners.
- Litigated a breach of contract case on behalf of a press and equipment manufacturer against the purchaser of a tire-shredder in Livingston, New Jersey.
- Litigated breach of fiduciary duty claims under ERISA on behalf of the Employee Stock Ownership Plan of a large concrete casting and construction company in Southwest Ohio.
- Defended an attorney in Dallas, Texas against claims of fraud, negligence and unjust enrichment relating to the attorney's representation in a tax resolution and debt consolidation matter.
- Assisted numerous clients in the formation of Limited Liability Companies and Subchapter S Corporations in the software development, property development, rental and property management industries.
- Litigated a products liability case against a press manufacturer in Dusseldorf, Germany.
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1998
- Ohio University, M.A., 1992
- Ohio University, B.S.E.D., cum laude, 1989
- Ohio, 1998
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1999
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2007
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2009
- United States Court of Claims, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2006
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Ohio State Bar Association
Community and Civic Involvement
- Tri-Creek District, Simon Kenton Council, Boy Scouts of America
– District Committee Chair, 2012-2014
– District Award of Merit, 2014
- Beta Chapter Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity House Corporation
– President, 2014 - Present
– Star Award, 2014
Publications and Presentations
- "S.B. 106: Immunizing Political Subdivisions," Trial, Spring 2004
- National Business Institute, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
"Expert Witnesses, Using Ohio Court Rules," April 2016
"Trial Preparation for Business Litigation," December 2015
- Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus, Ohio
"Hot Topics in Business Litigation, FHA/ADA Enforcement and Impact on Commercial Real Estate," June 2010
"Litigating ERISA Benefit Claims," October 2009
- Half Moon, LLC, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
"Legal Issues for Professional Engineers," Business Law, June 2011
"Legal Issues for Ohio Landscape Architects," August 2011
"Minimizing Engineering Liability," November 2007