For over 15 years I have protected the interests of professionals and business owners who have been targeted in lawsuits brought by patients, clients, customers or employees. I delve deep into the complicated issues that confront my clients, working with them collaboratively along with leading experts to design the most effective defense strategy.
- Ohio Rising Star 2012, 2013, 2014 by Super Lawyers Magazine - Civil Litigation, Defense
- Earned the Martindale-Hubbell "A-V Preeminent" peer review rating
- Litigation: Secured favorable jury verdicts for clients in civil and criminal cases throughout Ohio. Extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation including investigation, settlement assessment and negotiation, motions practice, lay and expert witness discovery, first chair jury trial practice, appellate briefing and appellate argument.
- Professional Negligence: Defended physicians, hospitals and nurses in medical malpractice claims at the trial and appellate court levels. Cross-examined experts in various fields of medical specialty. Defended attorneys against claims of legal malpractice in a variety of practice areas.
- Insurance Coverage / Defense: Successfully represented insurers at every stage of litigation including oral argument before the Ohio Supreme Court. Proficient in complex insurance coverage analysis.
- Employment: Represented employers and employees in discrimination, harassment, wage and hour and employee benefit disputes.
- Hospitality / Premises Liability: Defended bars, restaurants, grocery stores, salons, convenience stores and other businesses against claims by patrons and customers arising out of alleged food safety issues, slip and fall accidents and third-party criminal attack.
- Trucking / Transportation: Defended individuals and businesses against claims of negligence arising out of vehicle accidents.
- Civil Rights: Successfully defended county officials in federal court against claims of alleged civil rights violations.
- Tarpley v. Abdalla, S.D. Ohio Case No. 2:09-cv-199 (civil rights)
- Farmer v. Fisher, 386 Fed.Appx. 554 (6th Cir. 2010) (medical malpractice)
- Advent v. Allstate, 118 Ohio St.3d 248 (2008) (insurance defense)
- Rhoads v. Brown, 2010 Ohio 3898 (medical malpractice)
- Milburn v. Allstate, 185 Ohio App.3d 796 (2009) (insurance defense)
- Poore v. Wickham, Franklin Co. Common Pleas Case No. 08 CV 5930 (transportation)
- Treger v. McClure, Delaware Co. Common Pleas Case No. 08 CV 875 (breach of contract)
- Butler v. Cline, Licking Co. Common Pleas Case No. 2005 CV 1024 (transportation)
- Pace v. Warsame, Franklin Co. Common Pleas Case No. 05 CV 3192 (transportation)
- Zanke v. Svc. Unlimited, Franklin Co. Common Pleas Case No. 04 CV 65 (premises liability)
- Gibbs v. Prochillo, Fairfield Co. Common Pleas Case No. 2003 CV 334 (transportation)
- Lane, Alton & Horst LLC, 2002 - Present
- Browning & Cooke, 1999-2002
- The Ohio State College of Law, J.D., 1999
- The Ohio State University, B.S., 1996
- Ohio, 1999
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2000
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2009
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
– President, 2012 - Present
– President-Elect, 2011-2012
– Treasurer, 2010-2012
– Membership Chair, 2009-2010
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Woman's Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Community and Civic Involvement
- Advisory Board Member for Vocational Guidance Services
- Volunteer Experience with Ohio Center for Law Related Education mock trial competitions, The Moritz College of Law negotiation competitions; The Ohio State University mock trial team
Publications and Presentations
- Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, Civil Jury Trials Franklin County Common Pleas Court (quarterly article), 2008 - present
- Presenter for Wage & Hour 101 hosted by Ohio Chamber of Commerce, January 2012
- Presenter for Dirty Litigation Tactics; How to Deal with the "Rambo” Litigator, April 2012