Collis Gundy Lane began the practice of law in 1929, developing a national reputation for his trial skills and eventually serving as President of the Columbus Bar Association in 1955. Jack R. Alton then joined Gundy Lane and Richard Huggard to form the firm of Lane, Huggard & Alton in 1956. Jack Alton, too, gained respect as a renowned trial lawyer and also served as President of the Columbus Bar Association in 1969. In 1972, attorneys John M. Caren and Theodore L. Horst, well-known Columbus tax and real estate lawyers, joined the firm as additional named partners and the law firm briefly became known as Caren, Lane, Huggard, Alton & Horst.
After Mr. Caren and Mr. Huggard retired in the 1970’s, the law firm took the name of Lane, Alton & Horst. The law firm’s general partnership was converted to an Ohio limited liability company in 2000, becoming Lane, Alton, & Horst, LLC. In January 2015, the firm adopted the abbreviation Lane Alton for its marketing and communications. Lane Alton has been located in the Miranova Two Corporate Tower, now overlooking the Scioto Greenway, since 2007.